Monday, August 5, 2013

Welcome to the Badlands

New province. New home. New routines. New friends. New phone number. New...everything. 
All these new things make me feel the need for a new look, new feel, new direction...
 
As I was driving from Calgary to Lethbridge one weekend I realized that I live surprisingly close to 'Canada's Badlands'. I couldn't believe it. Since I spent most of my life living on the West Coast I found this really crazy. And fitting. So far it has not been super easy living out here. I don't know a lot of people and I don't have nearly the same size of support net that I had in Victoria.
The French called the badlands "les mauvaises terres a traverser" meaning "the bad lands to cross" but what they didn't know was that as they walked across these 'badlands' there were treasures underfoot. The badlands are littered with dinosaur fossils. These fossils have changed our impression of the world and it is still possible today to find evidence that could rewrite history. 

I will find the fossils beneath my feet eventually. 


No comments: